Therapy has both benefits and challenges and here is some that I have encountered within my work:
- Increase self- awareness
- Improve ability to communicate within interpersonal relationships
- Opportunity to practice new ways of communicating
- Uncover your own insights/inner wisdom
- Space to express oneself in an honest way
- Carved out time for YOU to work towards change and acceptance
- Ability to explore range of emotions in a non-judgmental and safe space.
- Increase energy and zest for life.
- Let go of ineffective guilt/shame
- Improve ability to cope with stressors
- Learn ways to engage in self care
- Learn ways to love oneself, develop self compassion, identify positive self attributes
- Begin the process of healing from trauma and/or stressful events in life.
- Learn and practice ways to set boundaries with others.
- Uncover your passion/calling in life is and taking steps to reach it
- Improve sleep and decrease restlessness
- Shift in dynamics in relationships
- Can bring up painful feelings/experiences that may feel like too much at times
- Not leaving therapy every time feeling "happy"
- Take a look into one's internal self and ways of being in world
- Learn about one's responsibility and role person plays in relation to others
- Awareness of how schemas/beliefs one has learned/internalized growing up may not be congruent with self now.
- Family/friends/partners may struggle with adapting to your changing self
- Building trust & developing rapport with therapist
- Prior experience in therapy that wasn't positive or not the right fit with fear to try again
- Being assertive with your therapist of what you like and don't like in therapy.